Club History

Mrs Williams – Founder and Past President

City Beach Netball Club began in 1959, formed from the Year 6 and 7 City Beach Primary School teams. The girls wanted to continue as a Junior team playing at the Mathews Netball Centre. Mrs Marjorie Williams the coach at the time, decided to form the first City Beach Surfers teams (the original name of the Club).

1st team

The very first City Beach team 1959

Training was held initially at the City Beach Primary School until the club was formed. Training shifted to Jubilee Park behind City Beach. Then, the City of Perth built a carpark adjacent the City of Perth Surf Club. Bertha Beecroft, a local councillor supported the proposal that the City of Perth pay for four courts to be marked out and that lights be erected to allow training at night. The City Beach Surfers had it first real home within earshot of the sound of breaking surf. Training continued at this venue for many years until1994 when the decision was made to relocate to Matthews Netball Centre to accommodate clubs within easy access to facilities.

 1959 Team

1959 names

 

Mrs Willie; forever at the Netball

CBS had a small ceremony in front of Matthews Netball Centre after the Senior Game at 5.30 pm last Saturday.  Members of the club, past and present, friends and family gathered to watch Georgie Eddington (Captain of the CBS 1 Division 1Team ) place some of Mrs Willie ashes at the base of the Double Delight rose (Mrs Willie’s favourite). Sue Trew, the President of the Club said a few brief words. “Mrs Willie will be looking over them and she will be, forever at the Netball.”

Georgie Eddington just after she planted Marjies Ashes 7 copy

Click on image to view slide show